Who is the new OpenAI CEO Emmet Shear?
Shear took to Twitter to confirm his new role as OpenAI CEO and said that he’s committed to smoothing out the details from the “turmoil” of the departure of Altmana and other employees. ...
- OpenAI, the Microsoft-backed AI company, experienced a leadership change as former CEO Sam Altman was ousted by the board of directors.
- Mira Murati, the chief technology officer, was appointed as interim CEO, but three days later, Emmett Shear, co-founder and former CEO of Twitch, was announced as the new CEO.
- Shear confirmed his acceptance of the role and expressed his plans for the company, including hiring a private investigator to look into the events surrounding his hiring and addressing key concerns.
- Shear mentioned that Altman's removal was handled poorly and damaged trust within the company.
- Prior to becoming CEO, Shear served as a part-time partner at venture capital firm Y Combinator and has a computer science degree from Yale University.
- Microsoft, a majority backer of OpenAI, announced the hiring of Altman and former board member Greg Brockman.
The article discusses a major leadership shift at OpenAI, with the ousting of the former CEO and the appointment of a new CEO. The sentiment is mixed, with mentions of trust being damaged but also plans for addressing concerns and achieving progress.