Tether freezes $225M USDT linked to romance scammers amid DOJ investigation
Following an investigation between Tether, OKX, the Justice Department, and U.S. law enforcement, the stablecoin issuer froze $225 million worth of USDT linked to illicit activities....
- Tether froze $225 million worth of USDT tokens as part of an investigation into a human trafficking syndicate.
- The funds were used by a crime syndicate involved in a romance scam.
- Tether worked with the United States Department of Justice (DOJ) and crypto exchange OKX to freeze the funds.
- The freezing of the USDT followed a months-long investigative effort.
- Tether aims to set a new standard for safety in the crypto space and will work with authorities to unfreeze lawful wallets.
The sentiment of the article is negative, as it discusses illicit activities and criminal syndicates involved in a romance scam.