Tether Confiscates 225M USDT Involved in Pig Butchering Romance Scam
After months of investigation, Tether has announced the confiscation of $225 million of its tokens involved in a pig butchering romance scam....
- Tether, the maker of USDT stablecoin, has announced the confiscation of $225 million of its tokens involved in a pig butchering romance scam.
- The investigation was carried out in collaboration with the OKX crypto exchange and the US Department of Justice (DoJ).
- The frozen funds represent the largest-ever USDT tokens confiscation in the Web3 ecosystem.
- The seized funds were connected to an international human trafficking and pig butchering romance syndicate.
- Blockchain tracking tools provided by Chainalysis were used to trace the flow of illicitly obtained funds.
- The frozen cryptocurrency wallets are currently on the secondary market and did not belong to Tether's customers.
- Legitimate cryptocurrency wallets were also captured in the operation, and Tether is working to unfreeze them.
- The pig butchering romance scam combines romantic fraud with bogus investment opportunities.
- The scam has illicitly obtained over $3.31 billion from US investors, with a significant increase in crypto-based fraud.
The sentiment of the article is negative, as it discusses a fraudulent activity and the confiscation of funds related to it.