Despite pilot, Swiss National Bank has no plans to launch CBDC
The central bank is exploring how to organize financial transaction settlements by developing a tokenized financial system....
- The Swiss National Bank is set to pilot central bank digital currencies (CBDCs) to test transactions with market participants on the SIX Digital Exchange.
- The pilot is meant to test a wholesale CBDC for “a limited time”.
- The central bank sees signs in Switzerland of the development of a new financial ecosystem where transactions take place with tokenized securities and tokenized money.
- The Swiss National Bank is exploring how to organize financial transaction settlements by developing a tokenized financial system.
- Settlement in central bank money eliminates credit risk, which is important for financial stability.
The article has a neutral tone. It reports on the Swiss National Bank's exploration of a tokenized financial system and the pilot program for CBDCs. The article also highlights the benefits of settlement in central bank money for financial stability.