Free-to-play Web3 games hold the key to mass adoption, YGG co-founder
There’s been an industry-wide shift in Web3 games as studios are now opting for free-to-play models in a bid to onboard more users, says Yield Guild Games CEO Gabby Dizon....
- Yield Guild Games CEO and co-founder Gabby Dizon predicts that successful Web3 games in the coming year will shift from play-to-earn (P2E) models to completely free-to-play models.
- The new wave of Web3 games aims to remove financial and technical barriers to entry, unlike games like Axie Infinity that require players to purchase nonfungible tokens (NFTs) to play.
- This shift towards free-to-play models prioritizes gameplay over tokenomics and aims to prevent speculative gaming bubbles.
- The decline in crypto prices and the over-financialization of gameplay led to a downturn in blockchain games, but Dizon believes this is about to change with the launch of new high-quality games and experiments in tokenomics and earning models.
- The introduction of the ERC-6551 token standard allows developers to integrate artificial intelligence (AI) into games, reducing the need for grinding and allowing players to interact with AI in the game world.
The sentiment of the article is generally positive, highlighting the potential for success and innovation in Web3 games with a shift towards free-to-play models and the integration of AI.