Former Belgian Finance Minister Calls for Crypto Ban in Wake of Banking Crisis
17 Mar 2023 11:27 AM
Johan Van Overtveldt, economic spokesman for the right-wing ECR political party in the European Parliament, compared crypto to drugs....
- Johan Van Overtveldt, a member of the European Parliament and former Belgian finance minister, called for a ban on crypto in a tweet.
- He made the comments as the European Parliament prepares to vote on landmark crypto licensing rules for the bloc.
- Van Overtveldt represents the right-wing European Conservatives and Reformers, the fifth-largest political grouping in the Parliament, in the Economic and Monetary Affairs Committee.
- The Parliament’s 705 lawmakers are due to vote as soon as next month on the Markets in Crypto Assets regulation, which will offer a regulatory framework for wallet providers and exchanges if they follow governance and consumer-protection norms.
- Van Overtveldt led the parliament’s work on a new law to allow trading of securities based on distributed ledger technology, and has said that the technology underpinning crypto has “great potential” to improve productivity.
Go to publisher site
The sentiment of the article is negative towards Johan Van Overtveldt's call for a crypto ban. The article highlights that Van Overtveldt has previously worked on a law to allow trading of securities based on distributed ledger technology and has acknowledged the potential of the technology to improve productivity. The article also mentions the upcoming vote on the Markets in Crypto Assets regulation, which will offer a regulatory framework for wallet providers and exchanges.
Who is Johan Van Overtveldt and what did he call for in a tweet?
What is the European Parliament preparing to vote on in relation to crypto?
What is the Markets in Crypto Assets regulation and what will it offer?
What is Van Overtveldt's stance on distributed ledger technology?
How does the article describe the sentiment towards Van Overtveldt's call for a crypto ban?
Johan Van Overtveldt
Markets in Crypto Assets regulation
Distributed ledger technology