A Timeline of Sam Altman's Wild Weekend - Decrypt
A tumultuous weekend for the AI giant saw its co-founders depart for Microsoft amid a boardroom battle. Here’s how it happened....
- OpenAI CEO Sam Altman has been ousted from the company he co-founded, leading to the formation of a new "advanced AI research team" at Microsoft.
- Altman's departure was due to a lack of consistent communication with the board of directors, hindering their ability to fulfill their responsibilities.
- OpenAI's CTO Mira Murati will serve as interim CEO, while co-founder Greg Brockman will step down as chairman of the board.
- The boardroom coup was led by chief scientist Ilya Sutskever, without advance discussions with Altman or major investors.
- OpenAI investors, including Microsoft and VC firm Thrive Capital, rallied around Altman in an attempt to reinstate him.
- Over 500 of OpenAI's workers signed a letter threatening to quit unless the board resigned and Altman and Brockman were reinstated.
- Altman and Brockman, along with other former OpenAI members, will be heading an in-house "advanced AI research team" at Microsoft.
The article describes a series of events involving the ousting of OpenAI CEO Sam Altman and the formation of a new AI research team at Microsoft. The sentiment is mostly negative, as it highlights the lack of communication and internal conflicts within OpenAI.